On 03/09/2012 13:30, Noel O'Boyle wrote:
> Hmmmm...not good. It sounds like OB 2.3.1 doesn't install on Win 7
> without admin priviledges. I need to check this somehow. If true, we'd
> better sort it out for 2.3.2.
> .
> In the meanwhile, you can workaround this. I will send you off-list
> the data directory for 2.3.1, which you can unzip anywhere you want.
> Then just set BABEL_DATADIR at the command-line before starting OB at
> the command-line. You could do this also in a batch file, or set the
> environment variable in the Windows settings somehow.
>
> - Noel
>
> On 30 August 2012 13:14, Richard Marchese Robinson
> <rmarcheserobin...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Noel
>>
>> Thanks for your e-mail.
>>
>> Unfortunately, not only was BABEL_DATADIR not created (I did check via
>> starting a fresh command prompt and typing echo "%BABEL_DATADIR%"), but it
>> appeared to be the case that the \data\ subdirectory containing mr.txt was
>> not physically created either. A search of my machine did not locate mr.txt
>> in any other location, either.
>>
>> If you cannot reproduce this, I would note that my build of Windows 7 is
>> non-standard. Does it sound plausible to you that this could cause this kind
>> of problem? I cannot supply further details about my build, however, as this
>> was set up by IT support at work. It is also the case that I need permission
>> before permenantly changing any environment variables or installing Python
>> modules - so I apologise for any delay in responding to any solutions you
>> might suggest.
>>
>> However, I believe that the problem is version specific: I have since been
>> able to successfully install Open Babel version 2.3.0 using
>> OpenBabel2.3.0a_Windows_Installer.exe. (I should note that this installer
>> did not automatically set BABEL_DATADIR either, but - as the \data\
>> subdirectory *was* created by *this* installer, it was possible to just set
>> this manually.)
>>
>> Many thanks in advance for any clarification you can provide.

2.3.0, 2.3.1 and 2.3.2 all use different locations for the /data folder.

In 2.3.0 it was subfolder of Program Files. This was usually fine under
XP, but in Vista and later it required Administrator access.

In 2.3.1 it was put in Program Data. This was not the right place
because it is intended (I think) for All-Users data, when a single user
place was really required.

In 2.3.2 to achieve this, the data folder in under %APPDATA%. On my
computer at C:\Users\Christopher\AppData\Roaming\OpenBabel-2.3.2\data

The Environment Variable BABEL_DATADIR which points to this folder has
always been a User variable and it would be surprising (and difficult to
work round) if your system did not allow the installer to set it.

At http://gaseq.co.uk/OB/2-3-2/OpenBabel2.3.2_Windows_Installer.exe
there is a snapshot of an OB version from July, which uses the installer
internals expected to be used for 2.3.2. It would be helpful if you were
able to try it out on your restricted system and report whether it
works. (Or indeed anybody on any system!)

Chris