While the tree.hh website says GPLv2 or GPLv3, the downloaded code
says GPLv3. Looking at the history of tree.hh, there are older
versions that say v2 or v3, but then at some point he switched to
specifying GPLv3 in his code files, a change that makes me
uncomfortable with listening to the website.

I dug up old versions of tree.hh from Cadabra . Luckily, it actually
has the exact same files as Confab, but with a GPLv2-compliant
license. Since the author of Cadabra is the same person as the author
of tree.hh, I think these files should be considered cleanly under
GPLv2.

changeset at
https://github.com/cowsandmilk/openbabel/commit/d27bb24dd2efa4304b369f4c3923c0ce43de97bb

-David