On 09/18/2013 12:32 PM, Geoffrey Hutchison wrote:
>> What is the default model used to compute the partial charges?
>
> Gasteiger. The mol2 output actually will say this.
>
>> Is there a way to control which one to use?
>

> Of course:
>
> obabel --partialcharge MMFF94 …
>
> obabel -L charges # gives a list of the installed charge models
>
> Hmm, this needs to go into the next documentation update.

I confirm the output files always contain USER_CHARGES
instead of the actual charge model that was asked to Open Babel.

This is a bug, it doesn't respect the mol2 file format.

I used commands such as those:
obabel input.mol2 -Ooutput.gasteiger.mol2 --partialcharge gasteiger
obabel input.mol2 -Ooutput.mmff94.mol2 --partialcharge mmff94
obabel input.mol2 -Ooutput.qeq.mol2 --partialcharge qeq
obabel input.mol2 -Ooutput.qtpie.mol2 --partialcharge qtpie

I use "Open Babel 2.3.0 -- Dec 17 2011 -- 16:15:10"
from Ubuntu's package:
ii  openbabel 2.3.0+dfsg-3ubuntu3

Regards,
F.