> i get a linker error concerning the babel executable:
> ..
> /opt/cray/craype/2.01/bin/CC   -O2 -g -DNDEBUG -O2 -g
> /usr/bin/ld: attempted static link of dynamic object
> `../lib/libopenbabel.so.4.0.2'

When you re-ran cmake, did you remove everything in the build directory? I'd
try:

cd build
rm -rf *
cmake ../openbabel-2.3.2 # [..]
etc.

I can think of two possibilities. One is that cmake didn't properly change the
linking steps in the Makefile to use dynamic linking. Two is that the version
of Cmake that you have installed doesn't work correctly with the Cray compiler.
(I'm not an HPC person, so it might help to find a technical support person at
this facility. Most HPC centers have people to help you compile codes for the
different systems and have experience with the compilers and developer tools.)

Hope that helps,
-Geoff