Anyone have any comment on this? I am observing the same problem as OP. I am
using the following:

/usr/people/douglas/programs/openbabel-2.3.2/build/bin/obabel
crystal_ligand.sdf -O tmp.sdf --conformer --nconf 50  --writeconformers

I only get 1 conformer in the 1 output file.

I have also tried the following:

 /usr/people/douglas/programs/openbabel-2.3.2/build/bin/obabel
crystal_ligand.sdf -O tmp.sdf --confab -rcutoff 0.1 -ecutoff 10 --original
--verbose

Still get 1 conformer in the 1 output file.

The verbose option seems to have no effect, neither do the rcutoff and
ecutoff options. I believe there may be something wrong with the way obabel
is handling the options, it's like they aren't being used at all.

Can anyone honestly state that they have observed this feature actually
working?