> That's all I know about that key definition.

Likewise - I’ve seen in a few places but not aware if it’s truly correct.

Extending OB SMARTS to handle component level grouping shouldn’t be too much
work. The parser just needs to label the components of the pattern. The matcher
can then check this post match (same as stereochem is implemented) by labelling
the connected components.