On Oct 23, 2015, at 12:03 AM, Nathan Pimental wrote:
> I was wondering how one uses openbabel to convert smiles into canonical
> (ordered) smiles format: the gui does it with ease, there's a check box for
> this feature.

I don't know VB, but if the following (almost) worked

>         Dim myObConv As New OBConversion
>         Dim mymol As New OBMol
>         myObConv.SetInFormat("smi")
>         myObConv.AddOption("")

then try

         myObConv.AddOption("c", myObConv.OUTOPTIONS)

In my own notes I have:

            # The "i" flag means "don't include isomeric"
            # Disable isomeric output
            obconversion.AddOption("i", OUTOPTIONS)

            ## One of the following
            # Generate an Open Babel canonical string
            obconversion.AddOption("c", OUTOPTIONS)

            # Generate a universal SMILES
            obconversion.AddOption("U", OUTOPTIONS)

            # "anti-canonical" uses randomly assigned atom classes
            obconversion.AddOption("C", OUTOPTIONS)

            # InChI-fied SMILES
            obconversion.AddOption("I", OUTOPTIONS)

                                Andrew