Hi Marcos,

There is no straightforward way to do it OpenBabel, I've recentrly
developed such fingerprint (Protein-Ligand Extended Connectivity FP) and
presented it on RDKit UGM
https://github.com/rdkit/UGM_2017/blob/master/Posters/Wojcikowski-PLEC_fingerprint.pdf

PLEC Basically is what you've suggested - a collection of hashed contacts
in the complex. There is an OpenBabel and RDKit's implementation of PLEC in
ODDT, see
https://oddt.readthedocs.io/en/latest/rst/oddt.html#oddt.fingerprints.PLEC
and here https://github.com/oddt/oddt/blob/master/oddt/fingerprints.py#L616

If you wish to experiment with the function that you've asked for there it
is (_ECFP_atom_hash):
https://github.com/oddt/oddt/blob/master/oddt/fingerprints.py#L358

There is Noel's blog with ECFP that you can play with (
https://baoilleach.blogspot.com/2008/07/calculate-circular-fingerprints-with.html)
although OBMolAtomBFSIter is buggy and does not work correctly with
disconnected molecular parts, which will happen with proteins (
https://github.com/openbabel/openbabel/issues/1639).

----
Pozdrawiam,  |  Best regards,
Maciek Wójcikowski