Absolutely could be a regression but having done a fair bit of work on
ChemDraw processing (old poster
<https://www.nextmovesoftware.com/posters/May_SketchySketches_Sheffield_201607.pdf>)
did you confirm it with the same file in both cases?

ChemDraw actually stores the expansions (fragments) in the file, if you
right click and "Interpret chemically" the expansion will not be save and
you'll get a '*' unless the reader does extra processing.