Hello,

We are currently working on developing a package for predicting the structure
of proto-nucleic acids. In this program, users can input arbitrary backbone
structure and other parameters. Then, the program performs a conformational
search over the dihedral angles of the backbone to predict whether the given
backbone can be used to form a stable nucleic acid structure. We use the C++
OpenBabel API for all the manipulation of the molecule and computation of the
energies. Additionally we have a python wrapper that uses pybind11 and a
graphical user interface that uses Jupyter notebook.

The program is hosted at https://github.com/alenaizan/pnab. I managed to make
the program work in Linux and Mac but I have repeatedly failed to make it work
in Windows. This is one of last remaining issues that I need to implement
before we officially release the software. I always get the error that force
fields cannot be found, even though I set the BABEL_DATADIR environment
variable to the appropriate data folder. Neither Linux nor Mac requires the
manual setting of BABEL_DATADIR if I install openbabel through conda. I use the
openbabel 2.4.1 package available in conda-forge and the 2019 visual studio
build tools. I appreciate some help on how to fix this issue.

On another note, I noticed that the alpha release of openbabel 3.0.0 has been
announced. What is the expected timeline for the release of a stable version,
and is it necessary for our program to wait until openbabel 3 is released?

Regards,
Asem