> I tried this with mdl mol files and here the result is as expected (all files
> identical),
> so this might occur with xyz files only, but since no warning is issued when
> combining
> xyz files and the --canonical flag this is rather dangerous..

I'm not sure where you would give such a warning. The problem is that the
canonicalization algorithm requires the bond graph. In an xyz file, that has to
be perceived.

I haven't analyzed your case in particular, but I suspect that the perception
is somewhat different between the various files (e.g., if you output canonical
SMILES instead).

-Geoff