> I noticed (after several hours) that when compiling in Release mode functions
> get mangled in a different manner than when compiling in Debug mode. E.g.:

Yes. We don't set how a C++ compiler handle function names. That's a standard
handled by the compilers. But in any case, you can use a variety of demangler
tools (e.g. https://demangler.com <https://demangler.com/>)

OpenBabel::extract_thermochemistry(OpenBabel::OBMol&, bool, int*, int, double,
double*, double*, double*, double*, double*, double*, double*, double*,
std::__debug::vector<double, std::allocator<double> >&, double*)

So you can see the main difference is that the debug compile uses a debug
version of std::vector<> (i.e., the one that does bounds checking). As you
said, there are flags for that.

-Geoff