On Sat, Apr 09, 2016 at 12:01:58PM +0200, Pau Amaro-Seoane wrote:
> Dear all:
>
> I prefer to use stable releases of OpenBSD and use a /home encrypted
> and I was wondering whether it is possible to keep that partition from
> release to release. I mean, I would like to avoid the work of
> encrypting a huge partition every time that I update the OS.
>
> I have seen this web page:
>
> http://eradman.com/posts/openbsd-workstation.html
>
> and I was wondering whether I could follow this to keep a separate partition.

This is not an official tutorial.  3rd party tutorials are not recommended,
primarily because:

* They may not be maintained, and fall out of date.
* They are often written by newer users, who may not have a clear
  understanding of process
* They may be very narrow in use-case and not fit with general cases

In this instance the guide refers to disklabel partition "g".  This may,
or may not, be of any use to you.

The example shows the partition *already* configured as RAID.  If, for
example, you already had your /home partition mounted, whether "g"
or not, following this tutorial won't help you, because you would need
to dismount /home before you could change the partition type.  And you
would lose anything stored on the partition.

You may use third party "how tos"  as ways to spur your thinking, but you
should never assume they are up to date, correct, or match your particular
configuration.  Every recommendation -- such as commands and options --
should be confirmed before use.  Never blindly copy and paste anything
because if you don't understand it completely, how do you know what it
is intended to do?

> If this can be done, what would be the steps when I update to 6.0? I
> would appreciate a dummy, step-by-step guide assuming that I am 5
> years old.

An upgrade doesn't touch the contents of /home.  However, in its history
softraid partitioning has changed, and in some cases those changes have
either required or recommended backup, recreation, and restore.  While this
might not happen again, it could.  In the event it does, you will be
notified via the new release Upgrade Guide at that time.

> Another question I have is how to bind a key to xlock + zzz, so that I
> can lock the screen before suspending, or how to force xlock to be run
> after resuming. The indications give in that page are not working for
> me.

You can set up scripts in /etc/apm/ to automatically do this, see the
apmd(8) man page regarding this.