I can confirm the same behavior on a default installation, when
inserting Romanian characters, with [mysqld] default-character-set=utf8
in my.cnf. On mysql shell data looks ok with default latin1 encoding,
but when changing it to utf8 special characters looks garbled (like
accessing http://www.google.ro/webhp?hl=ro with ISO-8859-1 encoding).