Mark, just read your discussion excerpts on

http://www.freeteam.org/freecard/license-talk.html

(if it's as short as this I suggest you post it to the list next time if
nobody else has objections).

Here's my comments:

The points they bring forth would apply to every other program, but not to
our case with FreeCard/HyperCard, since a FreeCard standalone is neither a
'player' nor does FreeCard compile a stack in the sense they understand it.
There will be a 100% FreeCard application in each standalone (we might make
it possible to remove stuff later, but that's not important in this
context) and since creating a FreeCard standalone essentially means mergin
one file and a standalone, we need a special paragraph, as the GPL requires
any derivative work (which a merge between FreeCard and another file would
be) to be under the GPL.

Furthermore, we don't want stack authors to have to ship along FreeCard's
sources (which would still be necessary even if we just used the LGPL
instead of the GPL) or to have to maintain a web site from which the
sources can be downloaded. Non-programmers are our target user base and we
want them to be able to use FreeCard as easily as they now can HC if they
buy it.

Cheers,
-- M. Uli Kusterer

             http://www.weblayout.com/witness
       'The Witnesses of TeachText are everywhere...'