Hi Harley,

>       I know this is an offshoot from our posting but anyway I think your
help is greatly appreciated on this one.

>       I have tried programming using memory cards only, that is the card
is used to store information such as personal information and other offline
data which I can use to sync with the main applcation system.

What memory card are you using? I don't have experience of them but it
would help to know.

> Its been 3 weeks and I still have a hard time coping up with the
creation,
> testing and implementation of applet in smart card. Like, where the heck
would I
> create that .opt file? Creating applet is relatively easy, as
> per the instructions besides its just java proramming. But to implement
the
> applet is another because I dunno how to trigger that applet, assuming
that it
>is already stored. Plus, the guides do not give a clue whether I
> can still use the java card as my memory card, say to create EF and DF
where I
>can store some information for future processing by the same applet
found in the
>card. Plus how will the user got to see that it is
> working , i mean UI which is usually a third program created outside the
card
>but is capable of triggering the card's applet and recieve information
for
>viewing.

It sounds like you have a Javacard that can also act as a memory card –
is it a Gemplus card?

Anyway, it sounds like you need some javacard priming.

You communicate with card applets using APDUs. These are data packets
send to the card. First you must "select" your application by AID, that
is how it is "triggered".

Then you can send any APDUs you like to your applet, and provided you
have coded it to handle the APDUs properly and respond with data, it will
all work.

The UI for the user – typically a Java application that uses OCF to send
APDUs to your applet.

Of course, you must first install your applet which is a card-type
dependent task. However, our forthcoming DynamicCardServiceFactory
project will make this the same for all cards it supports.

It sounds like you are using the ISO filesystem to store data on the
card. Depending on what you are storing, it may not be necessary at all
once you have your javacard applet. However, some card manufacturers may
provide on-card APIs for communicating with the ISO filesystem on the
card.

>       If you can lead me to a better link where I can extract this
information
>is greatly appreciated. I feel that  a lot of time has been wasted going
over and
>over again but it seems I just can;t get this thing
> working.

www.opencard.org for the "host" side (sending APDUs)

Book – "JavaCard Technology for Smart Cards" by Zhiqun Chen, O'Reilly.

Cheers

---
> Visit the OpenCard web site at http://www.opencard.org/ for more
> information on OpenCard---binaries, source code, documents.
> This list is being archived at http://www.opencard.org/archive/opencard/

! To unsubscribe from the [EMAIL PROTECTED] mailing list send an email
!                           [EMAIL PROTECTED]
! containing the word
!                           unsubscribe
! in the body.