Hi Marc and Mark and other OCF lovers!

I'm not that pessimistic. I do think it is possible to maintain the OCF
without the vendors. Reasons:

1. Almost all readers use PC-SC which means that we do fine with only
this terminal service. PC-SC now works fine on UNIX too.

2. It is not that difficult to write a card service. With the provided
reference implementations it just a couple of weeks.

3. There are at least one card (hopefully more) that close follows the
ISO7816-x standards (setcos 4.3 from setec). With ISO7816-8 it is now
possible to do standardized operation with the private key of the card.

I have two  services that I could "donate" to a new "OCF open source":

1. A "generic" card service that is only using strict ISO commands when
communicating with the card. Unfortunately I have only been able to test
the setcos4.3 card.

2. An update of the PC-SC terminal service that works fine on Linux.

We (TAJT) has developed a tool that will certify that a card fulfills
the Swedish standard for identity cards. This tool will be used by
public authorities in Sweden before accepting a new electronic identity
card. The tool is using the previous mentioned "generic" card service.
To find more information about the tool please search the page
www.swedac.se for "SWEDAC-SAT" (overview/Activities/SWEDAC-SAT).

regards
Lars

Marc Palmer wrote:

> [...]