<<Trusting a card reader always means your're expecting the card reader to be tamper proof.>>>
What you are describing is already out there. You have described a mechanism to validate the card, to the reader. It's known as a Card Authentication Method. SCM has readers for contact or contactless to do a CAM. You can even insert your own Java Card ICC in the reader. This is a plus because you can program the embedded chip the way you want it. When a card is inserted it can perform an authentication upon it. Also it can recieve input from middleware encrypt it and send it
down to the card.
As far as CLC, are you sure this isn't covered in JSR 177 ?

<<A biometric sensor on the card is not in the range of this specification as I don't know anything about Biometric sensors for smart cards. But it could be added, of course. >>
There are cards that actually have a bio sensor on it and performs the match on the ICC. I believe Atmel makes a chip for this.

<<The secure input device should be on the token you're carrying with you.>>
A PIN pad ?
What if I require an alpha numeric PIN ?
A input device I need to plug in everywhere I go ? And remove everytime I go somewhere else ?
If not a PIN Pad, this would be something else I have to carry ?
If PIN Pad, must meet ISO7816 card dimensions.
If PIN Pad, how can I see the values I'm entering ? ie, where's my "********" display ?

Wave Systems has a keyboard with an embedded chip that encrypts keystrokes. This adds a layer of security to any desktop application.

Starting a JSR on this might be difficult because it requires hardware modifications not just software APIs. As you know, hardware is difficult to manage in Java without a native interface. Even Java Cards call the card native OS !.

Joseph Smith
www.javacard.info