He's focusing on micro-level things they did wrong, but not
confronting the possibility that making a huge handcoded KB is just
the wrong thing to be doing...

For instance he notes they have had to add 75 kinds of "in" to handle
different sorts of "in" relationship ... but doesn't question whether
it might be smarter to have the system instead learn various shades of
"in", which could allow it to learn 1000s of context-specific senses
not just 75 ...

ben

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 1:30 PM, Linas Vepstas <linasveps...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The below is an old presentation, from 2009, but its the first I've seen of
> it.  Its long, I have not read it yet.   However, I suspect that it probably
> says good things (I hope; else that would be something else that CYC did
> wrong...)
>
> http://c4i.gmu.edu/oic09/papers/Mistakes%20Were%20Made%20OIC%202009%20keynote.pdf
>
> Everyone working on opencog theory should probably read it and memorize it
> and apply those lessons to the things we do.
>
> Thanks to Lukasz Stafiniak for pointing this out.
>
> --linas
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/opencog/CAHrUA369vqLVG7xEx5vVS%2BASqtaKMNSVBc7S3rdxdU8gGgEFOQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Ben Goertzel, PhD
http://goertzel.org

Super-benevolent super-intelligence is the thought the Global Brain is
currently struggling to form...

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/opencog/CACYTDBfej%2Bn9u6%3DSjVcZ5JOUjHo%3DG86EVRMiqu9PNP0SRXyTyg%40mail.gmail.com.