Linas, Nil, etc. --

This variation of type theory

http://www.dcs.kcl.ac.uk/staff/lappin/papers/cdll_lilt15.pdf

seems like it may be right for PLN and OpenCog ... basically,
dependent type theory with records (persistent memory) and
probabilities ...

If we view PLN as having this sort of semantics, then RelEx+R2L is
viewed as enacting a morphism from:

-- link grammar, which is apparently equivalent to pregroup grammar,
which is a nonsymmetric cartesian closed category

-- lambda calculus endowed with the probabilistic TTR type system,
which is a locally cartesian closed category

https://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/relation+between+type+theory+and+category+theory#DependentTypeTheory

For the value of dependent types in natural language semantics, see e.g.

http://www.slideshare.net/kaleidotheater/hakodate2015-julyslide?qid=85e8a7fc-f073-4ded-a2c8-9622e89fd07d&v=&b=&from_search=1

(the examples regarding anaphora in the above are quite clear)

https://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/dependent+type+theoretic+methods+in+natural+language+semantics

This paper

http://www.slideshare.net/DimitriosKartsaklis1/tensorbased-models-of-natural-language-semantics?qid=fd4cc5b3-a548-46a7-b929-da8246e6c530&v=&b=&from_search=2

on the other hand, seems mathematically sound but conceptually wrong
in its linguistic interpretation.

It constructs a nice morphism from pregroup grammars (closed cartesian
categories) to categories defined over vector spaces -- where the
vector spaces are taken to represent co-occurence vectors and such,
indicating word semantics....  The morphism is nice... however, the
idea that semantics consists of numerical vectors is silly ...
semantics is much  richer than that

If we view grammar as link-grammar/pregroup-grammar/asymmetric-CCC ...
we should view semantics as {probabilistic TTR  / locally compact
closed CCC *plus* numerical-vectors/linear-algebra}

I.e. semantics has a distributional aspect AND ALSO a more explicitly
logical aspect

Trying to push all of semantics into distributional word vectors,
leads them into insane complexities like modeling determiners using
Frobenius algebras... which is IMO just not sensiblen ... it's trying
to achieve a certain sort of mathematical simplicity that does not
reflect the kind of simplicity seen in natural systems like natural
language...

Instead I would say RelEx+R2L+ECAN (on language) +
word-frequency-analysis can be viewed as enacting a morphism from:

-- link grammar, which is apparently equivalent to pregroup grammar,
which is a nonsymmetric cartesian closed category

to the product of

-- lambda calculus endowed with the probabilistic TTR type system,
which is a locally cartesian closed category

-- the algebra of finite-dimensional vector spaces

This approach accepts fundamental heterogeneity in semantic representation...

-- Ben

--
Ben Goertzel, PhD
http://goertzel.org

Super-benevolent super-intelligence is the thought the Global Brain is
currently struggling to form...

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/opencog/CACYTDBdon6m8Vc8JN8Xt%3Dge3O1iQOPQ-yVL%2BZc%2Bjizt7S7S8%2Bw%40mail.gmail.com.