Nil, others,

In working out w/Amen how to apply PLN to various Atoms derived from
natural language, I started to think we might want a truth value that
has the following fields:

***
float positive_evidence

float total_evidence // aka count, but this should be an OPTIONAL value
***

Where the total_evidence is defined one can then say

probabilistic strength = positive_evidence / total_evidence

The point is that for an Atom like the EvaluationLink in the construct

EvaluationLink
     PredicateNode "eat"
     List
          ConceptNode "cat"
          ConceptNode "mouse"

we can meaningfully accumulate a number indicating how many instances
of this relationship have been observed (the positive_evidence of the
Link) ... but there's no obviously maximally meaningful way to
normalize this positive_evidence value into a probabilistic or fuzzy
strength value....

If we apply Evaluation2Member to get

MemberLink
    ConceptNode "mouse"
    SatisfyingSet
          VariableNode $X
          EvaluationLink
                 PredicateNode "eat"
                 List
                        ConceptNode "cat"
                         $X

then we could meaningfully come up with some fuzzy strength, and if we
then apply M2I to get

InheritanceLink
    ConceptNode "mouse"
    SatisfyingSet
          VariableNode $X
          EvaluationLink
                 PredicateNode "eat"
                 List
                        ConceptNode "cat"
                         $X

then we can normalize the positive-evidence in the obvious way (i.e.
the total_evidence we want for the InheritanceLink is the total number
of entities satisfying the SatisfyingSet, within the assumed overall
universe of discourse)...

If this approach is right, then the PLN formulas like Eval2Member and
M2I would propagate positive_evidence values rather than strengths...

No changes for the PLN rules acting on straightforwardly probabilistic
links like InheritanceLinks would be needed, because these rules use
strength which can be derived from positive_evidence and
total_evidence...

Adding new TV types like this is annoying, but OTOH abusing the
"strength" or "mean" field in an existing TV type by making it mean
positive_evidence for certain link types, seems even more annoying...

Hopefully someone will bite the bullet and implement ProtoAtom soon ;p ;)

thoughts?
ben

--
Ben Goertzel, PhD
http://goertzel.org

Super-benevolent super-intelligence is the thought the Global Brain is
currently struggling to form...

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/opencog/CACYTDBcdZ%2BVabVDquRyAjGrWP-BJmQgO6w%2BiD%2Bpdp8%2Bb_gzYOA%40mail.gmail.com.