On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 1:24 AM, Ben Goertzel <b...@goertzel.org> wrote:

> Hi Linas,
>
> The difference between PartitionLink and MemberLink is pretty obvious,
> right?

Not to me ... I realize now that perhaps you mean "SubSetLink" and I
thought we had one of those, but perhaps it has different semantics.  See
below.

>  A PartitionNode defines a partition of the set denoted by a
> ConceptNode.  The partition elements that are linked to the
> PartitionNode by a PartitionLink can of course also be linked via a
> MemberLink to the ConceptNode that corresponds to the PartitionNode.
> However, the unique semantics of a partition is that of mutual
> exclusivity and completeness, i.e. the intersection between two
> distinct elements of the partition is null, and the union of the
> elements of the partition is the set being partitioned.

OK. well .. where, exactly, does my hip end, and my body start?

In intro-to-diff-geom there is a concept of "partition of unity" which is a
collection of functions that sum up to one. and  each one individually
smoothly interpolates between zero and one. They indicate a general area.
They do NOT have a null intersection -- they can have a big huge sloppy
intersection, but that works just fine because they have derivatives that
cancel out (because the derivative of one is zero).

Practically, a problem with partitions is, what do you do if you forget to
specify one of the parititions? should one assume that the unspecified part
is "everything else?"

There's also a problem of editing: what if, half-way through, you want to
change the partition? Can you? should you? should users instead be told
that a partition, once-created, is immutable, so you can only create and
destroy them?

Do you truly need a partition link? I mean -  I invent new link types all
the time, since that's usually pretty cheap. But I also do not expect my
new link types to work with PLN. In this case, don't you want pln interop?

An alternate way of thinking about partitions is as "coloring". Pick a set,
pick N colors, and then insist that every member of the set must be colored
with one of the N colors.  Then coloring is a lot like partitioning. e.g.

ColorLink
      ColorNode "Red"
      SomeAtom

or maybe

EvaluationLink
     ColorNode "red"
     SomeAtom

Color names could, of course, be anything: e.g. the names of the
partitions.

In one sense, colorings are identical to partitions; on the other hand,
they can feel "more general" because you can insist or demand that certain
properties of colorings hold, e.g. ramsey theory and reverse mathematics.

You could *force* aka gaurantee uniqueness of color assignment by using a
StateLink:

StateLink
     Some Atom
     ColorNode "red"

The atomspace automatically gaurantees that one and only one color can be
assigned. (although it can be changed)  The UniqueLink allows only one
assignment, and it cannot be changed.  These are nice, because they help
avoid programmer error. by offering automatic guarantees.

You don't have to use atoms for this, either. You could use values.
Recall, values are almost just like atoms, except that you can't put them
into the atomspace, and you cannot pattern-match or patttern-mine them.
But you can store color or partition data in values, if you wanted to.
Note that values *can* hold atoms!  There is a LinkValue that is like a
link, but it can hold atoms or values or a mixture of both.

--linas

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/opencog/CAHrUA34XVDQHNeYjb4r9eFjmrZxN%3DfNmE6wDQTV%2B__cJpEF3qw%40mail.gmail.com.