Hi Alex,

On Wed, Oct 4, 2017 at 3:03 AM, Alex <alexander153...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, maybe I am too optimistic...
>
> Regarding the rules, I am investigating the following (not impressive):
> https://github.com/threatgrid/naga

Atomese is definitely inspired by datalog. About 10 years ago, we actually
had a datalog API to the atomspace, it was created by one of the early
contributors, and was used by the State of Florida in some web-service.

> https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-319-21542-6_14

I keep trying to convince Ben and/or anyone at all to write up the
atomspace and submit for publication at one of these conferences, but no
one ever does.  It would be very cool -- a simple, easy-to-write paper
describing the newest ideas -- and ti would be stuff we've already got code
for. Free advertising for opencog.

> https://www.google.com/patents/US20150302300

Heh. Well, we've got lots and lots of prior art for that patent. Foo.

> Rules over graph database is far less popular theme than graph matching
> and mining, but I guess - graph matching is by far the most complex and
> important part of the any rule engine.

Yes. Well, once you have the concept of graph matching, then the concept of
a rule engine is (should be) "obvious".   There are many more things that
we've done in the atomspace that are now "obvious" in hindsight, but were
not when going forwards.

I am not surprised that other people are inventing/rediscovering and
implementing these things -- that's what happens when an idea is
"obvious".  I am somewhat frustrated that some of these other projects get
more exposure, more advertising, and become more popular than opencog, and
I wish I could change that.

I wish that some of the energy expended on creating graph databases had
been expended on opencog instead.  I wish that the tinkerpop people had
used the opencog query language, instead of inventing thier own.

Maybe this was the usual java vs. c++ thing. Maybe its the Apache license
vs. the GPL license. Some (many?) decisions are political, not technical.

Anyway, I am pretty sure that the atomspace design is five or six steps
ahead of everyone else, not just one or two.  Most of the world has not yet
discovered why these steps are important and interesting.  Maybe in 5 or 10
years, there will be an Apache Whatever that will also do these things in a
faster, more scalable way.  Maybe someone will patent these ideas, and
we'll have prior art. But right now, there isn't, and I can't wait 5 or 10
years.

What is critically important is to make the atomspace better known, easier
to understand, more popular, easier to use, more scalable, faster, more
efficient.  All of this is hard to do, however.

--linas

> Well - I suggest you not to waste your time on this, I will investigate
> further open source projects and then I will report back. I don't want to
> disturb anyone from his plans.
>
> --
> msgid/opencog/da088fdb-5d63-45e1-935e-01554e22b575%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/opencog/da088fdb-5d63-45e1-935e-01554e22b575%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

*"The problem is not that artificial intelligence will get too smart and
take over the world," computer scientist Pedro Domingos writes, "the
problem is that it's too stupid and already has." *

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/opencog/CAHrUA34FHKAf%3DzVe6rLZ2JjtvHVhFbX-15YzCq%3Dgx6uXBCnNpQ%40mail.gmail.com.