We haven't done a great job of keeping OpenCog friendly and usable as
a general opensource tool for the world at large, nor at making it
approachable to developers outside our close community...

Pretty much, a close group of people have been using OpenCog for
various applications and contributing to the generic OpenCog codebase
along the way....   The code has been kept open source and some effort
has been made to keep the code documented and to keep a wiki up to
date, but the project hasn't really been run or maintained in a way
oriented toward fostering a developer community....   This has not
been due to a lack of interest in fostering a developer community, but
just due to the core people involved being perennially swamped with
other stuff...

Indeed, nobody has been actively managing OpenCog as a general OSS
project.   Folks have been maintaining the codebase and repos (Linas,
Amen, Nil, etc.) but some mess has been tolerated there so long as it
doesn't stop our applications from working...

I'm certainly not opposed to project management in general -- e.g. we
have just hired a new software project manager for Hanson Robotics;
and my new SingularityNET project has pretty structured project
management.   It's just a fact that so far there has not been funding
to hire a good project manager for OpenCog as a general OSS project,
and nobody with the right mindset and skillset has emerged to do this
on a volunteer basis (and it's not a very easy job)...

-- ben

On Sat, Oct 7, 2017 at 12:34 PM, Mark Waser <mark.wa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So . . . . let me weigh in . . . .
>

> I’ve been a professional developer for 37+ years and am constantly using
> open source software for both work and personal endeavors.
>

> The *worst* thing for me is when the publicly available repo cannot be
> immediately compiled and run due to missing/incomplete instructions or
> errors.
>

> While this is nearly unavoidable once in a blue moon, it is certainly
> unacceptable when it happens on a regular basis.  It shows an incredible
> lack of professionalism -- much less a tremendous lack of respect for the
> time and effort of others.  At work, it is a termination offense.
>

> I’ve read this mailing list for years.  It seems that the repo being broken
> is far, far more common than not.
>

> The fact that the project has so many moving pieces is seriously daunting.
> The fact that you can’t even start analyzing it without repairing it is a
> total non-starter for me – and I suspect, most others, particularly
> professionals who *know* how software projects must be run to ensure
> progress and success.
>

> I had great hopes for OpenCog once – but I seems that it has done nothing
> but spin in circles except for a few (outstanding) one-programmer pieces
> (that haven’t picked up the traction they deserve because they’ve been
> anchored down by the rest).  I don’t see that changing without a serious
> upgrade in the engineering management of the project.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/opencog/000001d33f68%248e9bf310%24abd3d930%24%40gmail.com.

Ben Goertzel, PhD
http://goertzel.org

"I am God! I am nothing, I'm play, I am freedom, I am life. I am the
boundary, I am the peak." -- Alexander Scriabin

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/opencog/CACYTDBdOSGCK9R-Oh9DqY%3Dca2ADevW3i5_%2ByZHnAYD93jGjWXQ%40mail.gmail.com.