> On Sun, May 20, 2018 at 3:26 AM, Alexey Potapov <pota...@aideus.com>
> wrote:
>

>> For me, observational data is sensory data. It doesn't contain concepts,
>> predicates, etc. . If we have an observation that a particular crow is
>> black, ... But there are no purely black crows. It's just an abstraction,
>> which itself should be somehow generalized from raw data.
>> How can we calculate P(crow,black|image)?
>>

> Do not assume that a probability is what you actually want.  Let me give
> three examples.
>
> In real life, when you see a crow, and it is dark, and you want to talk
> about it, you just say "black crow" as an identifier of the object in the
> scene.  You don't pull out your photometer and measure it's darkness at
> 87.68% and a blueish hue of 77%. Why? Because you don't need to do that to
> have a conversation about it's presence, location, movement, etc. You only
> need to evaluate crow-ness and blackness sufficiently to distinguish it
> from all other elements of the scene, and then you can assign P==100% for
> most practical purposes.
>
> In neural nets, the sigma-function is a non-linear component, used to
> boost results towards extremes. whatever sum of weights or evidence or
> whatever it is that you have, as inputs feeding the neural net, you apply
> the non-linear sigma, to try to sharpen everything closer to either 0% or
> 100% -- to discriminate. To increase contrast.  This is kind-of the
> "secret" as to why neural nets work, and probabilities don't.
>
> In "integrated information" theory, you work with a large complex network
> of things that are all inter-related, all interconnected.  The goal of
> applying the theory is to find those extensions of the net that are highly
> interlinked, interconnected, and then to draw an accurate boundary around
> them.   If and when you can perceive that boundary, you can give everything
> inside one name, and everything outside a different name.  The names
> assigned are unambiguous, unique, even if the actual boundary is perhaps
> uncertain, even if there is a gradation, a smooth-ish transition from the
> highly-interconnected thing, to the mostly disconnected parts.   The act of
> name-tagging is what gives a handle on being able to think about the object
> in symbolic terms.

Well, I cannot agree with you. I can object to the first two paragraphs at
least. However, I'm not sure if it will be productive, since I have a
feeling that the source of discrepancy between our views is mostly in
different definitions... But if you wish, we can continue...

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/opencog/CABpRrhytQOn3K-ERXaET5kOnChS6CRJPH1RW450c3%3Dg59XfM8A%40mail.gmail.com.