> They implemented something completely different and totally incompatible.
> Actually, I'm not even sure any more about what it is they built.  It seems
> like a tragic mistake, because the net result is a system that is
> incompatible with .. everything else.  I really really want to get back to
> the core idea of using PredicateNodes for everything, and hiding all
> neural-net magic under the PredicateNodes, and not somewhere else
> (certainly not in python/C++/scheme code API's)  How to rescue that effort,
> and get it to work with ghost, well, that is a different conversation. If
> we could just have the basic PredicateNode api working -- this would be
> future-proof, and extendabale and I think its just not that hard to do.  So
> yes, please please do it!

Some explanation to clarify the difference.

In first case system updates coordinates of the objects constantly. It also
constantly analyses the scene and keeps in mind that some objects like
"cube" is here and that it has "red" color. When system needs answer
question "What is on the left of the red cube?" it queries the atomspace
and calculates predicate which finds "red cube" and calculates "left-of"
predicate using coordinates of the cube and other objects on scene.

In second case system doesn't need constantly adding all attributes of all
objects on scene to the atomspace to be ready processing queries. Instead
it uses GroundedSchemaNode or GroundedPredicateNode to calculate predicates
"is-red" and "left-of" on the fly using visual features of objects it sees.
And error is backpropagated through the GroundedSchemaNode and
GroundedPredicateNode to improve predicate accuracy.

Both ways of request processing do not exclude each other. Main difference
is that in second case you don't need to pre-calculate all attributes you
may need to answer the question.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/opencog/d495c91d-9394-40da-b6fd-939408a40f55%40googlegroups.com.