For those interested, the segmentation fault occurs when the program list
is constructed in the programs directory:

install-dataDATA: $(data_DATA)
        @$(NORMAL_INSTALL)
        $(mkinstalldirs) $(DESTDIR)$(datadir)
        @list='$(data_DATA)';

Apparently the list is too long, and thus the segmentation fault.  My work
around was to cut the list in half (by removing half of data_DATA) and
then running 'make install' twice in the programs directory (for each half
of the list).

What might be limiting the size of the list (to about 250)?

Jeff