David,

> At what levels of the libraries do they quit needing LZW.

It quits when it checks for compress in compress.c and reports tiff,
jeg, png and imagick libs are not complete -- that is becasue
compress is not there any more.

> I noticed
> that compress was missing in the XFree86 versions of libz and was
> wondering why. Are you pretty sure were safe in assuming we don't
> need it?

Yes, that is true.  It is intentional.  LZW code is there but had
been disabled due to LZW patent issue.

>Does ImageMagick still use it for it's lzw
> compressed tiff?

Not any more.  ImageMagick 5.1.1 release 2 released on Feb 8, has
LZW turned off by default.  You issue --enable-LZW at your own risk
;-)

ImageMagick now uses bzip2 compression, if you have libbz2
installed.

There is new codes now for png, jpeg and tiff at UU NET ftp severs
which do not use LZW any more.

Suhaib