Thanks for the tips, I read the README and appendix C of the users
guide, but I'm still having trouble.

First, if I set the envinormental variable DXPROCESSORS  to 1, everything
starts as expected.  If I set DXSHMEM to -1 it says multiple processors
require shared memory.  If I set DXSHMEMSEGMAX to 1 and DXSHMEM to 1 and
then start "dx -execonly -memory 7"  I get an error "failed on segment 7
of 7."

Am I  setting these wrong, or is this system not configured for shared
memory?

thanks for your patience,
Randy