Perhaps some of the original developers of DX can give us a little insight here.

I'm currently hacking on mem.c and memory.c trying to get the
MacOS X port to work. I still don't get why all the bother with such
low-level memory stuff, especially the fancy arenas with various sized
memory chunks in powers of 2. Why does DX need to define it's own
allocation routines at all?

It also worries me that the MacOS man page on brk/sbrk claims:

"The brk and sbrk functions are historical curiosities left over from ear-
     lier days before the advent of virtual memory management. "

Richard

Richard