Actually, I solved that problem. It wasn't a bug in union, but a limitation in an application's stack size. I did finally get the user interface to run, but got really stuck on the memory stuff (core dumps). I just can't quite figure out where the dump is coming from. Of course it would help if I could get some time to look seriously at it. I did find some notes regarding the Mach memory scheme. If I find my bookmark I'll post it here.

The core dump I get when starting the executive seems to be like the core dump I got in the UI. I was told that the limit per process on the heap was limited to 750K. Of course that seems like a lot but anytime you have large arrays being created--it doesn't take long to overcome this. You might look to see if there are any large arrays being built on startup of the executive. I suspect that we still have to know more about the memory scheme however.

David

Hi David, heard anything from the MacOSX compiler folks
about the bug in union? I'm thinking of working on the port
again this weekend.

  Richard

David L. Thompson                          The University of Montana
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]                 Computer Science Department
http://www.cs.umt.edu/u/dthompsn           Missoula, MT  59812
                                           Work Phone : (406)257-8530