LLoyd,

Thanks for your comments. I've been looking through the netCDF import
code in more detail and started to fiddle around with it a little. My
goals are to go through the module code and rewrite it to netCDF 3
calling syntax. On top of that I want to go through it and update the
documentation to reflect what the code actually does.

For example the current code accepts connections not only of the type
triangles, tetrahedra, quads and cubes, but also lines which are not
mentioned in the documentation.

Hopefully I'll be able to make the documentation more clear as to when
a composite field is created by the module and when only a group object
is returned by the module. This area is currently a little dodgy to me and
there is a risk that the behaviour might change for some obscure cases
if the logic in the code is cleared up. However what I hope to be able
to do which would be beneficial for many users is to be able to avoid
duplication of fields that are shared. Typically if the same netCDF array
is used for positions and/or connections it might be possible to use
shared DX arrays for them. Another possible enhancement would perhaps be
a way to create multigrid group objects in a similar way as series groups
are handled now.

However, all this is so far only speculations. Time permitting I might be
able to implement something that others then could experiment with. Any
opinions on my ideas are of course welcome.

/Nils

   Nils Smeds
   HPCSU / Sci & Techn.              e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   UNSW, NSW 2052                    Voice:  +61-2-9385 6915
   Sydney                            Fax:    +61-2-9385 ----
   AUSTRALIA                         Office: Red Centre, West, Rm 2075