David Thompson:
 |There is one other problem I've found with ReadImage colors. If you
 |read in a 24 bit tiff, the colors become Byte colors [3]. Software
 |rendering can handle these with no problem, but hardware rendering
 |will barf on them. You have to convert them before sending them to
 |Image for Hardware rendering. Guess its time to start getting some of
 |these bugs posted to the bug database and update the bug database.

Probably so. To add more fun to the mix, I've noticed that if you define a
color map with byte[3] colors, software rendering generates garbage colors.
Didn't dig into it at the time, but I suspect there's a float * cast in
there without a type check.

Because of this, the ReadImage Magick mod I submitted generates a float[3]
colormap for colormapped images.  This microscopy volume format converter
I'm working on has to do the same thing, even though it defines a ubyte[3]
palette).

As a reference when making future mods, can we assume that this list
defines all of the valid renderable color combinations?:

              "colors" component        "color map" component
              ------------------        ---------------------
                   UBYTE[3]                     <None>
                   FLOAT[3]                     <None>
                 INT or UBYTE                  UBYTE[3]
                 INT or UBYTE                  FLOAT[3]

"front colors" and "back colors" also apply to "colors" of course.

And for consistency, "opacities" and "opacity map":

             "opacities" component     "opacity map" component
                    UBYTE                       <None>
                    FLOAT                       <None>
                 INT or UBYTE                   UBYTE
                 INT or UBYTE                   FLOAT