I thought I'd make a follow up to this. Chris has now learned that there was a bug with SP1. There were some bugs in OpenDX which I have corrected for Windows, but there was also a bug with respect to SP1. Upgrading to SP2 has solved some of these problems.

In all machines, dxexec starts out at about 6Mb of memory (as reported by Task Manager), then as the Import begins, it jumps to about 7, about 8, about 10, then WHAM. Dies. On my machine, I can monitor the files as Message Window prints and sometimes it gets quite far along. Sometimes, if I reboot, I can even load the whole thing, but then when the macro that processes the series (clips off the topmost point and makes a new series of those points), it invariably dies.

So, we cut the series down to 500 files. Same behavior.
100 members: same.
10: works on the 1Gb laptop, on my machine dies.
5: yay! the series imports, the images are rendered, the macro runs to completion. Pretty damn worthless!

This appears to relate to the problem I mentioned a few weeks ago, when I was trying to Print a series and it kept killing the server (it was probably the same project). I was never able to debug, because Print would fail and take out dxexec in the process. I could Select a small subset from the series and Print, but I never had this sort of problem back in SGI days.

So, I think I'm ready to declare that there is some horrible memory allocation problem regarding series files on Windows.

David L. Thompson                   Visualization and Imagery Solutions, Inc.
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]    5515 Skyway Drive, Missoula, MT 59804
                                    Phone : (406)756-7472