I had a lot of trouble building the libtool branch, probably due to various bison/gnu autotools/libtool version problems, so I gave up. I very recently built the usual CVS version on a dual G4 with MacOS 10.2.6 using these tricks:

 1. install latest "dlcompat" from sf.net (fink)

 2. install OpenMotif (got a pkg that worked this time instead
    of having to build it from scratch)

3. Also need to install X11 from apple, including X11 SDK (developers kit)

4. May need to copy liblanginfo.a to /usr/local/lib and run ranlib on it.

 5. CVSMake

 6. edit dx/include/dx/arch.h to comment out trunc macro
    (fixed in libtool branch)

 7. setenv CPP "gcc -E -no-cpp-precomp"

(prior to config, needed because of the complex preprocessing that is done to create
     some c files).

 8. ./configure --enable-new-keylayout

 9. make

 10. sudo make install

Best of luck. I hate building stuff. It's like my lawn tractor. Never works when I turn the key
and always needs something to be fixed.

Richard Gillilan
MacCHESS