"Heath Frankel" <heath.frankel at frankelinformatics.com> wrote:

I have to agree to a high degree with Heath here (exception is on the HL7
harmonisation process).

I have been working on developing archetypes since original CEN work for ICNP /
Mose / Nursys, and follow up work in templates within HL7 work. Further several
Dutch projects under HL7 v3 umbrella for which I met with Heath.

I believe that the clinical expression of variables, values, datatype,
cardinalities, relationships between variables (e.g. in scales) is the most
demanding part of all work.
Using any formalism,  (more HL7 v3 people are looking at the archetype approach
for that, so the discussion on ?best? can be considered for the past), is
important to bridge clinical to technical worlds.

In this formalism we need to be able to define discrete items (clinically: one
observation or one measure, e.g. weight). Then we must be able to have
archetypes that combine clinically natural combinations of discrete variables
(blood pressure: systolic, diastolic, cuff size, position). Such examples can
be globally standardized, at least to the level where the units are referenced
appropriately, e.g. kg weight versus Lbs.

The we must have archetype to represent clinical constructs, such as assessment
scales / instruments. These have usually a clinimetric / psychometric research
based set of characteristic, assuming a 100% correct technical representation.
This is doable with archetyping, e.g. the apgar score and Barthel index
examples.

To me this is in specifying clinical content with a formalism is such a way
that these small pieces can be selected upon choice to be included in different
formats.

Each format can be seen as a template: a logical, clinical grouping or
collection of archetypes (selection of 1, 3, 5 or 5.000.000 depending on
purpose) meeting a specific purpose.

Purposes in the real world are: database design, screen design, HER / OpenEHR
style, but also a technical artefact is an HL7 v3 message, or given discussion
the CCR style of material.

In other words: archetypes will be globally definable, or at least referred to,
where the template specifies many different implement able ?things? that will
vary to purpose.
The flexibility Heath mentions is absolutely required. E..g. a discharge
summary after delivery will have similar components (template level) compared
to discharge summary after stroke care, (e.g. blood pressure template, weight),
but also differ (first has Apgar score archetype, second has Barthel index).
The template thus must hold place for 1-n scales to be includable upon choice
of clinicians and depending the actual technical implementation.
For me encounter and medication list are definitely not archetypes: they differ
too much in each circumstance, they are templates that will hold several to
many archetypes.
The problem list within HL7 has been addressed and is now part of the set of
messages useful for referral and discharge. That set is going for 3 year stable
DSTU once ANSI has dealt with the bureaucracy. The allergy and intolerance is
still a problem, not due to R-MIM modelling, but clinical and national registry
etc level discussion on business needs. So the first step: sorting out the
clinical content, is blocking the speedy consensus. So with respect to Heath
comments on this: no agreement, it will work.