On 08/12/2012 11:29, Bert Verhees wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> Using namespaces is a better idea then the current situation, I agree
> with that, but it is not the perfect solution, as I explained several
> times why.

I looked back through the thread - maybe I am just not seeing your
explanation - but anyway, is it because you think there can be URI
clashes? We are only talking about having a controlled id space within a
namespace where the latter is based on internet domain - this is a
pretty good guarantee that the organisation has been identified. So then
it is just a question of managing the multi-axial id within that space,
which should be easy (although we don't do it properly today).

>> In the future, we should have 'identifying properties' that make up
>> the multiaxial id, i.e. instead of the string
>> openEHR-EHR-OBSERVATION.bp_measurement.v1 being a single property in
>> the AOM ARCHETYPE class, it would be broken into pieces, and then
>> this kind of id can be generated functionally. Other variants,
>> including with the full version id can also be generated e.g.
>> openEHR-EHR-OBSERVATION.bp_measurement.v1.3.16 (and in the future
>> both of these will have namespaces).
>>
>> The only true 'id' field in that case will be the UID field. I think
>> in the ADL representation of an archetype we would still use the
>> multi-axial id at the top, because it is very convenient, but in XML
>> and dADL, JSON, etc it would appear in pieces. And of course in AOM.
>
> That is not my problem. You can put as much properties as you think is
> useful in an archetype. You can name the filename as you want (we, in
> our ecosystem, don't use files to store archetypes)

I'm not clear why you are talking about file names - they are not
important in any tools using archetypes, to my knowledge. CKM doesn't
use files at all.

> My problem is that the OpenEHR datasets depend on archetypes and they
> express this dependency by the property Archetype-ID in the
> Locatable-class.

yes, that's the current spec. As I said elsewhere, there is a proposal
(for some years now) to improve this, and to enable the use of the full
multi-axial id (generated) and also Uids or Oids or whatever. So I don't
think that in the future, there will be any problem. You will of course
have difficulty to see what the archetypes are when inspecting data, so
that's the downside.

> If errors (like clashes) occur in this relationship, even if there is
> no error but you have reasons to doubt, the datasets become unusable.
>
> The part I want to change is: to have in the specs to give the
> Locatable a unique relationship to its connected archetype, and
> resolving this by a UID (UUID, GUID, whatever) to identify the
> archetype seems evident.
>
> In XML the namespaces are in URL's, they do not need to have a concept
> in this URL.

see above. But using a concept is also not a problem - it's just an id.
The only problem is managing the assignment of ids, which doesn't occur
today, but should. We had originally thought of doing this in a Snomed
namespace, but now I am less sure that that is the right approach.

>> assuming we have namespacing, I don't think it is restrictive, it is
>> just a problem that the assignment of new ids, and the ability to
>> search existing ids is not yet an online service. I would propose
>> that it is a simple separate service that just performs those
>> functions, and needs to exist for each domain (i.e. archetype
>> namespace, e.g. nl.nictiz or whatever).
>
> It becomes less restrictive that is true, because there are more
> authorities, you can always find an authority which does not deny you
> a specific concept-name.
> Because, you can go to another which allows you that conceptname, or
> even organize your own namespace.
> And in that way the ID's (in spite of being meaningful) can still
> remain unique, worldwide.

> But it is cumbersome. But as I said, it is better then the current.
>
> That is how the worldwide web started, I remember you could buy books
> with URL's in it, like a phonebook. And people (also I) were busy
> typing URL's from that book. I still have such a book as curiosity:
> The Internet Yellow Pages (Google in hardcopy)

there may be some confusion here. I am not advocating URLs. A domain
name is not the same as a URL.

> But now, nobody ever remember URL's or reads them. It is all done by
> machines, and the URL's often aren't anymore readable. Even
> domainnames could not prevent them from becoming unreadable.

I think we must be talking about different things; what kind of
organisation domain names have become non-meaningful?

> With archetypes the same will happen. People are going to search for
> archetypes, conceptnames will become a very important search argument.

well they won't search in general with the short concept name, they will
use keywords and ontology-based search terms which will enable the
search. CKM and other tools already do this. So the
'blood_pressure_measurement' string is of limited importance in
searching. It's main importance is for enabling direct quick
understanding of what an archetype is about in tools and in data, and in
education.

> Because this is, you should never allow a technical reason (like there
> is now) to deny conceptnames to people. Like in the worldwide web, the
> concept should not be in the URL, but somewhere else.

well actually concept names are part of well-design URLs all the time.
That's the whole idea actually of a well designed reliable URL, to be
based on a reliable concept, not a system directory or location.

For example, the URL
http://www.openehr.org/releases/1.0.2/architecture/overview.pdf is
reliable because it has nothing to do with physical location - it's
based purely on the concept 'releases/1.0.2', the concept of the
'architecure' part of the specs,  and the concept of what the target
document is about.

- thomas