This became a very rich and interesting conversation, it is being very good
to be learning so much with you all.

> So EVALUATIONS are NOT limited to opinions or assessments, although that
> is a common misunderstanding.

I have to disagree, the paper "An Ontology-based Model of Clinical
Information" says:

"In summary, the Opinion category is distinguished from the Observation
category by representing inferences from evidence, rather than representing
the evidence. Two investigators can form different interpretations of the
same set of observations, but the observations themselves remain an
objective picture of some aspect of the patient?s situation, within the
limits of the observational method itself. Similarly, two investigators can
formulate different goals and plans based on the same observations, and
even the same diagnosis."

And the Information Model document (p57-58), which is based on the paper
"An Ontology-based Model of Clinical Information", states:

"*The name Evaluation has been present in openEHR for some years, and is
retained for reasons of continuity*."

?        **The first in which we record now or at a specific point in time
> or averages usage over an identified period of time, and which is best
> represented in an OBSERVATION so that repeated and comparable records can
> be made over time ? effectively a concrete smoking diary of actual smoking
> activity, whether now, on a certain day, or an actual average over the past
> 10 years.
> ?        **Secondly the data that fits more with an EVALUATION ? for
> example, data that we will only ever need to record once and should be
> persisted, such as ?Date commenced tobacco use?, or that we want recorded
> in one place only and choose to update over time with versioning of
> COMPOSITIONS, such as cumulative consumption in pack years etc.

**

**

**
I now understand your concerns about the separation of models, but an
Observation CAN be *data that we will only ever need to record once and
should be persisted,* such as mentioned in the Information Model document,
for instance Family History includes "actual events / conditions in family
members are recorded as Observations (e.g. father died of MI at 62)". Also,
as Heather wisely said in her paper openEHR - the World?s Record: "The
archetypes contain a maximum data set about each clinical concept".

I would have to disagree here - while a summary is not an assessment like
> diagnosis, it is an opinion, or 'evaluation' by the health professional in
> the sense of what he/she *chooses to include* as a summary of the patient
> situation, as understood by the current professional, for consumption by
> other professionals so that further care can continue. It is not an
> observation of anything on/from the patient - it is a creation from the
> mind of the professional based on previous observations, documenting what
> he thinks is important or otherwise for ongoing care. There is no primary
> 'observation' activity going on here.

I wasn?t thinking this way, but from this point of view, now I totally
agree with you in the sense that the health professional can *chooses what
to include* as a summary of the patient situation, so each health
professional can develop a summary with different items.

But the problem is that data to be included in the Evaluation summary can
not be chosen from an Observation and serve as substratum by the health
professional. The data is already defined within the archetype and some of
them aren't within Observation (e.g. Tobacco use - Date commenced). Also,
most of Evaluation summaries have no space to record different
interpretations of the same set of Observations. Can it still be considered
an Evaluation summary?

I agree with Ian's solution of merging the archetypes into a single
Observation archetype, to be used for different scenarios with slightly
different templating.

In my opinion the relevance to correctly describe the classes goes beyond
the query. It begins when someone decides to choose the archetypes to be
used in an EHR. It may generate mistakes and lead to error and disillusions.

Cheers
--
Gustavo Bacelar
MD + MBA + Med Informatics