From: openEHR-clinical [mailto:openehr-clinical-boun...@lists.openehr.org] On
Behalf Of Bakke, Silje Ljosland
Sent: Thursday, 10 March 2016 7:59 p.m.
To: For openEHR clinical discussions (openehr-clinical@lists.openehr.org)
Subject: Socio-technical challenges when the openEHR approach is put to use in
Norwegian hospitals

Hi everyone!

As some of you may have noticed, a paper called "Evaluating Model-Driven
Development for large-scale EHRs through the openEHR approach"
(http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1386505616300247) was
recently published by a PhD student at the University of Tromsø. The paper has
some pretty direct criticism of the ideal of wide clinical engagement in widely
reusable information models, as well as the clear division between the clinical
and the technical domain inherent in the openEHR model. I think a lot of the
observations detailed in the paper are probably correct, for its limited scope
(one Norwegian region and 4 years of observation, half of which was done before
the national governance was established). We'll probably use the paper as a
learning point to improve our national governance model, and I'd like to hear
any international (and domestic Norwegian for that matter) takes on the
implications of the paper.

Kind regards,
Silje Ljosland Bakke

Information Architect, RN
Coordinator, National Editorial Board for Archetypes
National ICT Norway
Co-lead, Clinical Models Program
openEHR Foundation
Tel. +47 40203298