Hi Tom,

The original question is talking about 'threshold's changing in time. Would
not using reference ranges may make things complicated during
implementation with the changing threshold requirement?

First: if the threshold is changing with respect to all instances of a
particular composition (template_id = 'x') , when the change happens, would
not you have to update reference ranges of the DV_QUANTITY node in all
composition instances across all EHRs to express the new threshold? That
is, if you define high systolic blood pressure using a reference value,
would not you have to update all blood pressure observations when the
accepted 'high' value (threshold) changes?

Second: Setting the reference value to express a threshold would make it
impossible to query above/below threshold sets of composition via AQL
because it'd require a query that uses the WHERE clause as follows:
".... WHERE some/path/node1.value > /some/path/node1.reference_range.value"
(excuse the mock paths) which, as far as I know is not supported by AQL at
the moment, not even grammar-wise (I may be out of date on this one)

If you keep the reference value at the application level, all you have to
do is update it without having to touch the existing instances and use AQL
to select above/below threshold since you can plug the threshold value
directly into WHER

You'd have to