Thanks Ivar, that makes it a lot clearer to me. šŸ˜Š

Regards,
Silje

From: openEHR-clinical <openehr-clinical-boun...@lists.openehr.org> On Behalf
Of Ivar Yrke
Sent: Monday, August 06, 2018 11:36 AM
To: For openEHR clinical discussions <openehr-clinical@lists.openehr.org>
Subject: SV: How to define transitions in the ISM

Iā€™ll try again. To see my problem, imagine that you have an instance of a state
machine that is currently in SUSPENDED. Now tell a nurse what options he has.
You can do that based on the RM and the actual ACTION archetype, provided you
can relate the archetype constrains to the RM.

The possible transitions are pre-constrained by the RM, as you say, and there
is no need from our side to change that. The problem we face is that the
ISM_TRANSITIONS as they are generated by current tools, do not carry enough
information to identify their place in the RM. Which arrow do they represent?
The only thing we get to know is their ā€œend pointā€ (current_state), but we
cannot distinguish e.g. ā€œresumeā€ from ā€œactive_stepā€. Having the transition
property populated would solve this for us. Without this information what our
applications see is basically a mutilated state chart diagram, like this:

[cid:image001.jpg@01D42D80.AF2B6EB0]
We can see that there are incoming and outgoing arrows, but we have no
information about which end belongs to which. From the RM we know that there
can be an arrow going from SUSPENDED to ACTIVE, but which one is it? I know,
again from RM, that its transition is ā€œresumeā€, but without this information I
just see like in the diagram. Even though my archetype has two ISM_TRANSITIONS
with current_state ACTIVE, there is no way to figure out which of them are
relevant from the SUSPENDED state. We simply need more information in the
archetype to be able to refer it to the RM.

So what is the big deal, canā€™t I just pick one? Well, in a just recording
scenario I could. But I want to present the options to the nurse as guidance
and there is a rather big difference in presenting the option ā€œResume suspended
drugā€ from ā€œDeliver drugā€ (these texts are the workflow_steps). To do that
correctly I need to know which arrow goes out of SUSPENDED and the transition
(together with RM) will tell me that.

Vennlig hilsen
Ivar Yrke
Senior systemutvikler