Tom & Sam,

Thanks for taking the time to explain the openEHR use of OBSERVATION,
EVALUATION and INSTRUCTION and how these do not limit the ability
to express state and events in a variety of clinical models. When
one moves from thinking in the healthcare space to thinking in the
recording space it is easy to misinterpret terminology, particularly
in simplistically mapping state to OBSERVATION and healthcare actions
to INSTRUCTION.

I would, however, still like to crusade for the importance of the
notion of non-care event, and its usefulness in future care. I
appreciate it can easily be catered for in archetypes, but would like
to re-stress its importance.

To start with your statement, Tom, regarding the usefulness of recording
the Bali-bombing in a subject's EHR:

> yep. And consider: while it would in theory be possible to put something
> in the EHR indicating the fact of the Bali bombing, this is in fact of
> no use to patient care - we have to the know the patient's point of
> view, not just the independently reported fact from the ABC reporter.
> Were they in the nightclub? Around the corner? Heard the blast (ear
> damage)?

The very knowledge of the event totally transforms the care that is
provided, as you, yourself indicate. I doubt that a person admitted to an
ICU with burns to his/her foot would normally be tested for hearing loss!

The normal course of healthcare is one of deducing the event. From thence
forth, domain knowledge, harnessed from many similar events to other
subjects, is used to guide the course of analysis and treatment. The
analysis and treatment is, of course, modulated by the individual's
symptoms, as you suggest. In fact, this process occurs so frequently that
the first part of it is given a special name - diagnosis. It's just that
diagnosis is usually limited to a subset of the event space (i.e. those
change_of_state events that are taught in medical schools).

Again, consider a 25 year old female who presents at a clinic having
missed 2 successive periods. The GP, having considerable knowledge
of a generalised pregnancy event, suspects, tests for, and diagnoses
pregnancy.  The event, and domain knowledge thereof, is more important
than the recording of the observation "missed 2 successive periods".
Now one could view pregnancy as an aggregation of observations. One could
view pregnancy as an evaluation from observations. One could view
pregnancy as an event, about which special data should be stored (
subject's weight, estimated date of conception, HbA1c, etc. ) I think
that there is value in the last of these views, independent of the first
two.

>From an epidemiological point of view, it is useful to store non-care
events.  In their absence, one could trawl through a population's
set of EHR's and discover a correlation between first degree burns,
hearing loss and trauma. But I am not convinced this would lead to
a clinical guideline for dealing with bomb victims.

I seem to have drawn the discussion away from the topic of this list.
Perhaps I should redirect further discussion to openehr-clinical instead?

Thanks again for your explanations.
regards,
eric

please send a message to d.lloyd at openehr.org