Paul Juarez wrote:
> I've been following these discussions with a lot of interest.  So I
> guess it's time for me to put in my two bits.  While I've seen a couple
> of references to ownership of the medical record, I havent seen anything
> definitive that defines it (e.g. patient, provider, legal custiodian of
> record, etc., or some combination).  It seems like this question needs
> to be clearly agreed on before issues of access can be identified.  (It
> also could be a partial solution to distinguishing between the terms
> EMR, EHR, EPR).  HIPAA aside, it seems that there may be some different
> legal issues about ownership that would also have implications for
> access.  Any thoughts?
>

>  >>> "Bill Walton" <bill.walton at jstats.com> 04/28/03 12:32PM >>>
> Hi Sam,
>
>  > > BW:  This is a really interesting problem space to me.  I've been
> studying HIPAA (the Health care Information Portability and
> Accountability Act) and have become fascinated with the discussion over
> how best to balance the needs of the various parties involved in the
> provision and payment of healthcare services so as to improve the
> quality and decrease the cost of health care here in the U.S..  Talk
> about a non-trivial problem!  Interestingly, it looks to me like all the
> nonsense can be traced back to the health record and some fundamental
> questions about who owns it, who controls access to it, etc.  Thanks
> again for sharing.  Hope to hear from you soon.
>
>  > > SH:  I agree - it is fascinating. Can I point you to our (original
> work on this - quite philosophical) which I wrote with Len Doyal - a
> professor of medical ethics in London.
> http://www.chime.ucl.ac.uk/work-areas/ehrs/GEHR/Deliverables.htm#D8
>
> I hate to ask this, but is there one deliverable you could point me to
> that contains the philosophical stuff?  I'm up to my eyeballs right now
> and I can see there's a whole bunch of good stuff at the Chime site on
> GEHR that I'll have to get to asap.
>
> Thanks,
> Bill
The ownership issue of medical information was a 10 years discussion in
Europe. Several projects we have been involved in tried to analyse
ethical and legal implications of personal medical information.
The interpretation of those issues is very different from country to
country, from region to region, from institution to institution and even
from scientists to sientists. In all official documents of the European
union sich as, e.g. the EU Data Protection Directive from 1995 which
meanwhile has been implemented in all EU Member States, avoids the term
ownership. In many circles, we talk about a comon responsibility of
doctor and patient within the trustworthy doctor-patient relationship.
Therefore, also the practical realisation of corresponding activities
are handled different. Many Healthcare Establishments hand over the
original materials to the patient. In the other hand, legislation for
documentation requirements and liability issues requires the originals
with the institutions. As you can see, the responsibility paradigm seems
to be a logical way - and all standards work items orient to the
responsibility paradigm. This means on the other hand, that without
consent of the patient (which could be defined at action level or at
role level), the doctor has no right to access and to communicate
patient's personal information.

Best regards

Bernd

please send a message to d.lloyd at openehr.org