Hi All,

With a background in fault tolerant computing I have a built-in penchant for
distributed files that are exact/backup copies of a master. Works wonders
for
financial transactions.

I don't believe that this model fits EHRs especially since one can conceive
of
parallel, e.g., close proximity in time, operations directed at
modifications
originating at geographically distant locations.These operations, even they
occur
across town (Clinic and distant Lab) create problems for record management.

Tying record management to physical location is not a solution. Remote
medicine complicates this immediately. However, a constant occurs
immediately,
presuming that we do not have to deal with human clones (put a <dash-number>
in the ID). The Patient ID is it. Traditional approaches would require that
in all
the world there is only one unique person being considered. (hopefully).

Hence each region could contain entries on residents, transients, visitors.
tourists, etc. that somehow make contact with healthcare
facilities/Practitioners
in the region.

Registering the IDs and updating the regional databases requires that only
those
regional Patients be administered.

National and international databases can be established that will receive
and store
regional registrations of Patient IDs, allowing one to scan these databases
determine who holds regional records on individual Patients. One can then
retrieve all the records or part of them. This substantially reduces the
need for
storage and bandwidth to manage records on a global scale.

I presume that there is no need to have matching records for individual
Patients
in all regions this Patient has been in an made contact with the healthcare
industry. If I take a cruise on the Rhine and require medical attention it
makes no
sense to burden whatever region manages that healthcare system with anything
more than they had a tourist with a weak stomach.

It would be nice to have a distributed registry that would show where I had
stop off and get some help. At least the Public Health personnel would
appreciate
it.

The important thing to me is to be able to access all the known records and
bundle them in a way that is appropriate for the healthcare personnel
handling
my latest complaints.

BTW: The Fault Tolerant/Highly Available Systems can make sure that the
information requested is available but the applications have to structure
it.

-Thomas Clark

please send a message to d.lloyd at openehr.org