Hi Gerard,

Record Level Data Security  has little to do with legal, social control and
organizational aspects.

I agree that these are important, and in many cases more important, than
record level data security. They are more complex issues that are dependent
upon factors varying from culture to informal/private business arrangements.
To be complete others would have to be added.

The approach taken was to start at a level where secure global electronic
data interchange of healthcare records is possible, a possible model being
the "Association For Payment Clearing Services".

http://www.apacs.org.uk/downloads/List%20of%20Standards5.pdf

The perceived need is secure, standard record formats so that information
can be accessed even though it was created under a system using a different
record format. The goal is access to all "relevant"/"germane" information.
Hence, interchangeability is crucial.

I admit that 'legal, social control and organizational' issues are much
harder to solve which is why, in the short term, I am staying away from
them.

-Thomas Clark