Hi Thomas,

I forgot I had set up an inbox rule for posts from this forum so have
probably missed the last 40 or more posts. Will have to go back through them
all to see exactly what has been covered.

Thank you for your useful description.

I had meant to put my case as a clinican but as this is the 'technical'
forum I don't know if it was the right place.

I agree that the described approach makes sense and offers a great deal of
customsation regarding access. What I am concerned about, I suppose, is how
the system will be implemented. These concerns stem from some examples I
have heard - for instance an orthopaedic surgeon only requiring information
to perform an operation. Perhaps this is an inaccurate example?

My viewpoint is that I spend up to an hour when assessing a patient
carefully extracting as much information as possible. My colleagues rely on
the thoroughness of this information to look after this patient. We also
rely on full access to the entire medical record (ever recorded) in order to
safely and holistically care for our patients. I would hope I would have
full access to the medical record in order to fulfill my clinical
responsibilities.

In my field, it is not unusual for patients to either provide unreliable
details or to conceal facts. We often rely on recorded facts rather than
what we are told. In these circumstances I have concerns about the patient's
right to keep private parts of their records. I believe that the suggestion
that a patient may essentially exclude sections of their notes from viewing
represents a major shift in the way we work. I would also argue that it's
difficult for a patient to know when this concealment may put themself or
others at risk.

Is the intended approach that the viewer would know there was information
that they could not view or that it is simply hidden?

Matt

please send a message to d.lloyd at openehr.org