Dear Remko

The link class can only be associated with either instance and we have some
work to do on how to go about this. The first thing that I would say is that
we may want to create a 'report' transaction archetype that has a context
attribute "In resonse to" and then a URL to the transaction that contains
the order. This would mean that we have a firm idea of the link between a
report and the order (even if it was made at another site). To work in a
distributed environment it would mean that any order should give the URL of
the instruction in the order (even if it is an HL7 message or other
artefact) If the order is an openEHR extract it carries the URL with it.

To work efficiently we will need the threads to be easy to follow - this
will mean that the local EHR server will have to know which links point to
which transactions from other transactions - this is an indexing problem and
an example of what the server can do to make this work locally. You will not
know links from outside that point in - but that is OK.

Another issue that will make this far easier is smart transactions (in
house) - that is to say - how we store transactions in the local DB with
only smart updates - so only deletions, edits and additions are stored. If
we solve this at a kernel level then updating states and links will be
trivial in terms of local DB work.

I hope this helps - you can see why we are not worried about commercial
advantage for local application vendors as there are many implementation
issues for us to consider as yet.

Cheers, Sam
Dr Sam Heard
Ocean Informatics, openEHR
Co-Chair, EHR-SIG, HL7
Chair EHR IT-14-2, Standards Australia
Hon. Senior Research Fellow, UCL, London

105 Rapid Creek Rd
Rapid Creek NT 0810

Ph: +61 417 838 808

sam.heard at bigpond.com