Thomas

My approach to this, which is expressed in the editor, is to standardise
only on the base and maximum values of the ordinal. The terms that are used
are not an issue and standardisation is really way beyond scope when people
use all sorts of terms for this purpose. Apgar is a classic - 0,1,2 is quite
clear - how these points are described varies enormously - but that is OK.
Nurses may want something different than doctors - for example. It is the
tightly defined context that is important and the fact that it is ordered.
This does allow comparisons and normal values to be determined.

So, Urinalysis - NORMAL can be something that an archetype can express.
Blood = 0, Protein = 0 ...

You are always worried about the non-standardisation but we do not need it
in this world to make interoperability a reality - ordinal values are, on
the whole, too gross for a great deal of concern. Reflex of +/- can be
normal if the person is healthy and the finding is consistent.

Sam

please send a message to d.lloyd at openehr.org