Matias

Thanks for the email - and sorry to be so slow getting back to you. Our current
work in this area relates to instructions as a generic class in the reference
model.

The links between individual instructions can modelled in a number of ways:

1. The start condition for one instruction might be the start of another
(paralell) or the completion of another (chained)

2. A set of instructions might have overlapping start and finish - that is they
have no relationship other than the fact that they occur at the same time.

3. A section - perhaps called 'Regime' could contain linked medications.

4. A link could be used.

>> We are currently working on an oncology project in which medication
>> regimens are used.  I would appreciate some guidance on the preferred
>> way to model regimens using openEHR.  Here is an example of a regimen
>> I am modeling:
>>
>> Regimen Name: CAF
>> Step 1: Cyclophosphamide 100 mg/m2/day po days 1-14
>> Step 2: Doxorubicin 30 mg/m2/day iv days 1 and 8
>> Step 3: 5FU 500 mg/m2/day iv on days 1 and 8 repeat q 4 weeks
>>
>> As I see it, there are two possible models:
>>
>> 1.  One INSTRUCTION with an ITEM_TABLE data structure that has each
>> step in a different column.

The way we are modelling instruction would mean that this must be two separate
instructions - as the frequency of the action specified is held in the timing
part of the instruction and must apply to the complete action.

A regime could be displayed in this manner.

>> OR
>>
>> 2.  Three INSTRUCTIONs with LINKs between them (i.e. a "concurrent
>> medication order").  This would be very similar to the "chained
>> medication order" described in the EHR Information Model (Figure 27).
>> However in this case, the LINKs' meaning would be "concurrent actions"
>> rather than "next action".

Any instruction with the same timing is concurrent by definition - the question
is - do we need to know that they are linked in a way that is more than
concurrent timing. I think not, apart from the ability to link these as you
describe - have the same indication and be organised as a regime or course or
other grouping as required.

>> Does anyone have a preference or another way to model this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Matias

Cheers, Sam
please send a message to d.lloyd at openehr.org