> Q - should the list be completely open to any openEHR member (i.e.
> anyone with a login), as for the existing 3 lists?
> Q - or should it be more closed, to protect commercial sensitivities
> of some members? If so how would new members get onto it?
>
> Personally I think it should be open like the other lists. I believe
> that commercial organisations have to take responsibility themselves
> for using such lists while protecting any "secret" knowledge they
> have. There is always, after all, private email. When we have an
> answer to this, we will provide an access point to the list.

I agree with Tom's point on this.  Sensitivity to secrets of commercial
orgs is of course important, but I feel that understanding by the
community that there are such concerns, especially in an open
environment, should be encouraged; I don't like the idea of making a
more conditional use of a discussion list for implementors, a list I
hope will be as useful a medium to share ideas and discussion as the
other lists.

With best wishes,

Nathan

On 29 Jan 2005, at 14:38, Thomas Beale wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> IMPLEMENTERS LIST
> a discussion list for early adopters has been set up. We decided to
> call it "openehr-implementers" (NOTE spelling of "implementers"!),
> rather than "early-adopters" since in a couple of years' time there
> will be people on the list who are at a mature stage of development.
>
> We are testing the list at the moment. What we need to know from the
> community is how we should run it.
>
> Q - should the list be completely open to any openEHR member (i.e.
> anyone with a login), as for the existing 3 lists?
> Q - or should it be more closed, to protect commercial sensitivities
> of some members? If so how would new members get onto it?
>
> Personally I think it should be open like the other lists. I believe
> that commercial organisations have to take responsibility themselves
> for using such lists while protecting any "secret" knowledge they
> have. There is always, after all, private email. When we have an
> answer to this, we will provide an access point to the list.
>

> THE Reply-to PROBLEM
> We have asked in the past which way the openEHR community wanted the
> list servers set, and it seemed pretty clear that most people would
> prefer to have Reply-to set to the list, avoiding the annoyance of
> using "reply-all" in your email client. However, our system
> administrators have so far preferred to keep it the way it is, due to
> the extra work involved in dealing with automatic holiday/absence
> mail, as well as various other nuisances. As I am sure everyone will
> agree, email is not what it used to be - spam and the sheer numbers of
> people using email have made life more challenging for those who
> manage systems. Nevertheless, we will endeavour to get this setting
> changed for the community as soon as possible.
>
> - thomas beale
>

> -
> If you have any questions about using this list,
> please send a message to d.lloyd at openehr.org

---------------
Nathan C. Lea
Research Fellow
Electronic Healthcare Record Systems
Centre for Health Informatics and Multiprofessional Education
Royal Free and University College London Medical School
4th Floor, Holborn Union Building
Archway Campus
Highgate Hill
London N19 5LW